Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Day Two: Headaches and Fatigue, Oh My!

Yesterday was the first day of my no sugar, no white flour (or any grains whatsoever) challenge, and I must say, it went easier than I thought it would. However, starting last night, I began to get headachy and fatigued, and slept on and off from 8 p.m. until 7:30 in the morning (actually, from 11:30 onwards, I think I slept well). I thought it was the work week catching up with me, but this morning, even after my unsweetened plain old latte, I still felt like I was coming down with something. Just very run-down and now, again. headachy. I looked up "sugar detox" on the internet, and sure enough, these are some of the very side effects of doing such a challenge. I didn't think I was this addicted to sugar, but by golly, it is hidden in EVERYTHING! When you make a conscious effort to not eat anything with added sugar, including fruit, which I eat a lot of, your body knows it. As yucky as I feel, it scares me to realize that my body is that laden with "toxins" (and yes, sugar and white flour are toxins in the amount that I eat them...) So, even though I feel like grabbing some chocolate and fried chicken right now (not together!) I know that I am doing the right thing for my body, and according to the literature I'm reading, this will all pass, and I will feel better than ever after about Day 3-4.  I sure hope so! And, as an added note, I am very proud of myself...we helped my future sister and brother in-law move today, and there were breakfast burritos and donuts and I did not cave, thanks to my super-filling breakfast!

Day 2 Menu:

Breakfast: Leftover Turkey-Bean Chili with green salsa and a sprinkling of cheese. Sounds strange, but the literature I read encourages things like this for breakfast. And it kept me steadily going through a move for a good 4 hours before I got hungry again.

Snack: 1/4 cup of Wasabi Almonds

Lunch: Same as Day 1, except for I added a hard-boiled egg. Needed some more calories after moving things all morning.

Dinner: Grilled Chicken Breast and Broccoli, potato slices baked with salt, pepper, and olive oil.

I am following this plan : http://gauravtandon.wikispaces.com/file/view/Diabities.pdf
It is designed for people who are pre-diabetic or diabetic, but since this disease runs in my family, I would like to change my lifestyle to prevent it all together. And, it's not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. Of course, I am not a doctor, so if there is anyone reading this, you should probably consult your doctor about making these changes, especially if you are already diagnosed as being pre-diabetic or diabetic. My coworker was, and she has seen amazing results on this, but everyone is different!

No comments:

Post a Comment