Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Yummy, Yummy Campfire Hash!

As a weight watcher, I often crave the finer things in life...namely sweets and breakfast food. Yes, I am allowed to have both things, but obviously in moderation. This morning, whilst thumbing through an old issue of Martha Stewart living (June 2011 to be exact) I found this irresistible looking recipe for a Campfire Hash. It contained everything that is right with breakfast food: potatoes, bacon, and a fried egg. Mmmmm....So, I went to my WW Recipe Builder app and entered the recipe...and as it turns out, it was doable. 10 points, kind of high for brunch, but since our dinner is also going to be ten points tonight, and this was brunch, I could afford it. So, I set to work. I adapted the recipe for one, since my fiance is kind of crazy and doesn't like bacon...pshhhh. I also added some southwestern touches: green chile and my homemade salsa that we had boatloads of from taco night on Thursday. Here's the original recipe, with my changes noted:


Martha Stewart Living, June 2011
  • Prep Time40 minutes
  • Total Time40 minutes
  • YieldServes 4
Add to Shopping List

Ingredients

  • 1 pound baby Yukon Gold potatoes (for one, I used one medium sized red potato, what I had in the fridge)
  • 8 ounces sliced bacon (I just used two slices to keep the pointage down)
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Extra-virgin olive oil (didn't use, the bacon grease was enough to cook everything)
  • 8 large eggs (or, just one ;-) 
  • 3 scallions, chopped (didn't have any, so I omitted) 
  • 1 green chile, chopped
  • Homemade salsa (a bunch of garden fresh tomatoes, a jalapeno, garlic, salt, and a healthy handful of cilantro, mixed together in a food processor) 

Directions

  1. Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
  2. Cook bacon in a cast-iron skillet set over a campfire or on a medium-high grill, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon, let cool slightly; crumble.
  3. Add potatoes to skillet, lightly smash each using the back of a spoon, and cook until just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir crumbled bacon into skillet. Push hash to one side of skillet.
  4. Working in batches, and adding oil as needed, crack 2 eggs into skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook until desired. Stir scallions into hash. Serve eggs with hash.
The outcome!!!!!!!!!



This was especially good this morning, as it is the first day it has felt like fall. Stay tuned for an outfit post from this day I've been waiting for! :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment